Helping in Your Recovery
Mr. Jacob Goad is a workers’ compensation and personal injury attorney. Mr. Goad graduated from the University of North Carolina (UNC) Chapel Hill where he majored in Spanish and minored in Social and Economic Justice. At UNC, Mr. Goad earned membership in Sigma Delta Pi, a Hispanic Collegiate Honor Society.
After earning his undergraduate degree, Mr. Goad lived and worked in Peru, where he got involved with environmental advocacy and also coordinated international delegations. He accompanied CNN producers and Dr. Sanjay Gupta to the town of La Oroya where Mr. Goad introduced Dr. Gupta to the residents of a town located in the shadow of a large, toxic metallurgical smelter. Mr. Goad attributes his decision to practice workers’ compensation to his experience of interacting with metallurgical and mine workers in Peru. While in Peru, Mr. Goad was once transported by the Peruvian Air Force into an earthquake zone in Ica, Peru in order to document and photograph the need for aid and funds to support the residents there. After being interviewed by CBS, hundreds of thousands of dollars were raised to provide assistance to those in need.
After returning from Peru, Mr. Goad graduated from North Carolina Central University’s Evening Law Program for students pursuing law degrees while also holding full-time employment. Mr. Goad was already working at this time as a paralegal for NC injury law firms while he attended school at night. While attending law school in Durham, Mr. Goad met his wife, Kelly, who is a speech therapist at a private clinic in town.
Mr. Goad has dedicated the majority of his time over the past eleven years to helping people who have been seriously injured from workplace accidents and automobile collisions. He has served on a variety of boards for nonprofit organizations, including previously serving as Chair of the Young Lawyers Division for the Durham County Bar Association. Mr. Goad serves as Secretary of the Executive Committee for Urban Ministries of Durham, which provides shelter, services, and meals to the homeless population of Durham. Additionally, he is the Legislative Committee Chair of the Workers’ Compensation Section of the North Carolina Bar Association. He is also on the Board of the Hispanic Lawyers Division of the North Carolina Advocates for Justice.
When not working on a client’s case, he enjoys playing in the Rainbow Soccer League in Chapel Hill, hiking with his dog, playing the guitar (Fender Telecaster Tobacco Sunburst), and spending time with his friends and family.
- Workers' compensation
- Personal Injury
- North Carolina Central University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- University of North Carolina (UNC) Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Major: Spanish
- Minor: Social and Economic Justice
- North Carolina, 2016
- North Carolina Advocates for Justice , Member, 2016 to Present
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member, 2016 to Present
- North Carolina Bar Association, Chair of the Legislative Committee for Workers’ Compensation, 2020 to Present
- Durham County Bar Association, Chair of Young Lawyers Division, 2018 to 2019
- Durham County Bar Association, Secretary, Young Lawyers Division, 2017 to 2018
- Urban Ministries of Durham, Board of Directors, Secretary, 2020 to Present
- 14th Judicial District Bar Association, Member, 2016 to Present
Current Employment Position
- Attorney at Law, Owner